Triathlete Profile: Brendan Dooley
Understanding how to balance life with triathlon training, family and job responsibilities is the key to being successful in your triathlon journey. Read the profile below to see how he does it!
BEFORE YOUR TRIATHLON
- How long did you train to get ready for this triathlon?I trained about 9 months bike, 3 months swim and 2 months running.
- How do you balance workouts with family/job responsibilities?I work from home and would do workouts early mornings and at lunchtime.
- What inspired you to try a triathlon?To lose weight.
- What do you think the easiest part of the triathlon will be?Biking
- What do you think the hardest part of the triathlon will be?Running.
- Will you do another triathlon after this?I hope so.
AFTER YOUR TRIATHLON
- How does your pre-triathlon vision compare with what the actual event?The actual event was over so quick and I was ready to do more.
- What was your favorite part of your first triathlon?People watching, and finishing!
- What was the most challenging part of your first triathlon?The open-water swim, because it was so different from pool training.
- What advice would you give a newbie now that you’ve completed your first triathlon?Add open-water swimming to your training schedule.
- How did you celebrate your finish?Hugs … and later beer, pizza and wings. But not too much..
- What’s next for you?
A half-ironman. The best part of training and doing this so far has been weight loss. I’ve lost 32 pounds in training and eating better; I hope to lose another 30 training for a 70.3 race in 2013. (I actually have a 1/2 marathon scheduled in October to keep me on task too).
Interested in telling TriathaNewbie.com readers how YOU balance YOUR life with triathlons? Email us with the subject line “Triathlete Profile” and let us know! We would love to hear from newbies as well as seasoned veterans. Your words just might inspire someone to get off the couch and to the starting line!
TriathaNewbie.com Recommended Resources:
There are Newbies Starting Triathlons Every Day. Today Just Happens to be YOUR Day!
Pennsylvania Triathlon – Connellsville Parks and Recreation Triathlon –-Great sprint triathlon for beginners!
New York Triathlon – Brooklyn Sports Club Mini Indoor Triathlon – This unique indoor event is perfect for first-timers
Running: Good for the Body and the Brain – Could running make you smarter? The answer may surprise you.
Triathlon QuestionWalking Instead of Running in a Triathlon –– The race promoters presented an award to a 69 year old female who had had 2 knee replacements…
New York Triathlon – Brooklyn Sports Club Mini Indoor Triathlon –This unique indoor event is perfect for first-timers
Georgia Triathlon – Tri for the Shelter Sprint Triathlon – USAT sanctioned, This triathlon takes place in the gorgeous Rocky Mountain Recreation..
My First Triathlon, Nicholas D’Angelo – It was the end of my life as I knew it and the beginning of the beginning. I decided that I wanted to live. I wanted to be a better husband, father, son, brother, uncle, and friend…
First Triathlon Story – Greg H. from Texas – just to raise your arms at the finish line and know that you accomplished a triathlon is such a great feeling.