Panic at the Triathlon Start
I just completed my lifelong dream of completing my first triathlon. It went well and I finished which was my goal. The problem I had was with the swim. I had a panic attack in the water. With the coldness of the water and the first time swimming in a lake, it’s no wonder I felt the panic. Do you have any suggestions to feeling like you can’t catch your breath in cold water? I’m doing another tri in August, but the water isn’t going to be much warmer..
Kimberly from Washington
Thank you for contacting TriathaNewbie.com!
Believe it or not EVERYONE panics the first few times they run into the water during the start of a triathlon. Read these articles and you’ll see you’re not alone:
- How to Avoid A Frightening Start:Think Out of the Pack (video) – We thought that this was, quite possibly, the funniest video we’ve seen depicting a triathlon start and wanted to share it with you for a laugh!
- Swimming Outdoors – The very funny account written below is very common for those swimmers who have spent years and years training in a pool and enter their first triathlon without having spent a daytraining in open water. It’s very different!!! So many obstacles can be avoided IF you take the time to read this article.
Just remember, there are lots of things going on during the start that you want to consider:
- You’re excited
- There are about 100+ other excited bodies around you
- You all run into the water at the same time
- Your adrenaline starts pumping
- You swim like a crazy person
- The adrenaline wears off
Everyone panics right around this time and then:
- You are hit in the face with reality
- You get your head together and start swimming like you’ve practiced
Once you’ve been involved with a few triathlon starts, you’ll stop panicking and begin with #8, getting your head together. Then you’ll start each race with confidence and a mental grasp. Feel free to also use a Wetsuit if they are permitted, but we really think it’s just your newness to the sport and you’ll overcome it with practice.
Please email us with any other questions.
TriathaNewbie.com Recommended Resources:
Triathlon Swim : – Get the low-down on gear and read tips for training and events.
Triathlon Bike: – Learn how to structure bike workouts, find safety tips and read recommendations on great bike gear.
Triathlon Run : – Get the ultimate skinny on running sneakers, running gear, safety tips and much more.
There are Newbies Starting Triathlons Every Day. Today Just Happens to be YOUR Day!
Pennsylvania Triathlon – Connellsville Parks and Recreation Triathlon –-Great sprint triathlon for beginners!
New York Triathlon – Brooklyn Sports Club Mini Indoor Triathlon – This unique indoor event is perfect for first-timers
Running: Good for the Body and the Brain – Could running make you smarter? The answer may surprise you.
Triathlon QuestionWalking Instead of Running in a Triathlon –– The race promoters presented an award to a 69 year old female who had had 2 knee replacements…
New York Triathlon – Brooklyn Sports Club Mini Indoor Triathlon –This unique indoor event is perfect for first-timers
Georgia Triathlon – Tri for the Shelter Sprint Triathlon – USAT sanctioned, This triathlon takes place in the gorgeous Rocky Mountain Recreation..
My First Triathlon, Nicholas D’Angelo – It was the end of my life as I knew it and the beginning of the beginning. I decided that I wanted to live. I wanted to be a better husband, father, son, brother, uncle, and friend…
First Triathlon Story – Greg H. from Texas – just to raise your arms at the finish line and know that you accomplished a triathlon is such a great feeling.