What are the Age Groups in a Triathlon Race?
I am a 57 year old college student my question is: are there age groups?
Robert from Tennessee
Thank you for contacting Triathanewbie.com and thanks for writing such a great question!
Congratulations on being a college student at 57 and YES, mini-triathlons are divided into age groups. Unfortunately, some races change the age groups slightly, but below are the average age groupings:
- ELITE MALE WINNERS
- MALE AGE GROUP: 19 – UNDER (sometimes they break this category down into 15- under and 16-19)
- MALE AGE GROUP: 20 – 24
- MALE AGE GROUP: 25 – 29
- MALE AGE GROUP: 30 – 34
- MALE AGE GROUP: 35 – 39
- MALE AGE GROUP: 40 – 44
- MALE AGE GROUP: 45 – 49
- MALE AGE GROUP: 50 – 54
- MALE AGE GROUP: 55 – 59
- MALE AGE GROUP: 60 – 64
- MALE AGE GROUP: 65 – OVER (some have 65-69 and 70 – over)
- NEWBIE MALE WINNERS (not all events have this although we think they should)
- CLYDESDALE WINNERS (weight exceeding 200 lbs)
- ELITE FEMALE WINNERS
- FEMALE AGE GROUP: 19 – UNDER (sometimes they break this category down into 15- under and 16-19)
- FEMALE AGE GROUP: 20 – 24
- FEMALE AGE GROUP: 25 – 29
- FEMALE AGE GROUP: 30 – 34
- FEMALE AGE GROUP: 35 – 39
- FEMALE AGE GROUP: 40 – 44
- FEMALE AGE GROUP: 45 – 49
- FEMALE AGE GROUP: 50 – 54
- FEMALE AGE GROUP: 55 – 59
- FEMALE AGE GROUP: 60 – 64
- FEMALE AGE GROUP: 65 – OVER (some have 65-69 and 70 – over)
- NEWBIE FEMALE WINNERS (not all events have this although we think they should)
- ATHENA WINNERS (weight exceeding 145 lbs)
We realize that you didn’t need to know the female age groups, as you are a man competing as a man, but we thought it would be helpful when we posted this question online for everyone to read.
Please let us know if we can help you find a triathlon in the future.
TriathaNewbie.com Recommended Resources:
Triathlon Swim : – Get the low-down on gear and read tips for training and events.
Triathlon Bike: – Learn how to structure bike workouts, find safety tips and read recommendations on great bike gear.
Triathlon Run : – Get the ultimate skinny on running sneakers, running gear, safety tips and much more.
- Wetsuit and Transition 1 (T1) Tips
- What are the Age Groups in a Triathlon Race?
- What to Wear for a Mini-triathlon
- Where Do I Begin?
- Workout Suggestions
- Average Triathlon Times
- At the Start of the Race
- Bike Shorts vs. Swim Shorts
- Biking Questions from a First-timer
- Brand New and Ready to Get in Shape!
- Breethe Deep
- Broken Toe
- Are You Completely Prepared for your Triathlon?
- Core Strengthening Exercises for TriathaNewbies
- Cut-off Race Times
- Finding your Down Hill Momentum
- Support for Well Endowed Women
There are Newbies Starting Triathlons Every Day. Today Just Happens to be YOUR Day!
Pennsylvania Triathlon – Connellsville Parks and Recreation Triathlon –-Great sprint triathlon for beginners!
New York Triathlon – Brooklyn Sports Club Mini Indoor Triathlon – This unique indoor event is perfect for first-timers
Running: Good for the Body and the Brain – Could running make you smarter? The answer may surprise you.
Triathlon QuestionWalking Instead of Running in a Triathlon –– The race promoters presented an award to a 69 year old female who had had 2 knee replacements…
New York Triathlon – Brooklyn Sports Club Mini Indoor Triathlon –This unique indoor event is perfect for first-timers
Georgia Triathlon – Tri for the Shelter Sprint Triathlon – USAT sanctioned, This triathlon takes place in the gorgeous Rocky Mountain Recreation..
My First Triathlon, Nicholas D’Angelo – It was the end of my life as I knew it and the beginning of the beginning. I decided that I wanted to live. I wanted to be a better husband, father, son, brother, uncle, and friend…
First Triathlon Story – Greg H. from Texas – just to raise your arms at the finish line and know that you accomplished a triathlon is such a great feeling.